Friday, July 24, 2009

"Guys"

To Benjamin any object is a potential "guy." Plastic animals talk and play with matchbox cars. Yesterday the cordless phone became a "really big guy" who, I was informed, could walk and talk and also had a thing like a boat (the antenna.) Benj was constantly muttering a complicated dialog between the "really big guy" and a matchbox-sized airplane. As far as I could tell the phone was saying goodbye to the passengers on the airplane...although later the "guy" was stomping on the airplane like King Kong so I'm not sure about the finer points of the storyline.

Not only is the world populated with stuff that can be instantly promoted to the status of "guy," it is also inhabited by two groups of said guys: "bad guys" and "good guys." We are forever dividing into these two categories. The discussion surrounding any video always includes Benj trying to educate Talia on which characters fit into which category. Talia demonstrated her confusion on the subject the other day when she asked me, "Mama, you a good guy or a bad guy?" Well, that's just the question isn't it? :)

I love that every car has a personality, every animal has a friend. I love asking Benjamin to repeat something I didn't catch and hearing him reply, "Oh! That was just Bear talking to Giraffe." I love how his imagination makes every day magical!

2 comments:

Becky Frame said...

"Mama, you a good guy or a bad guy?"

:)

That makes my day. :)

DellaRose said...

delightfully delicious