So I'd like to ask the readers, if you would kindly participate, What is your favorite lunchtime menu?
Oh, and since I would like this to be actually helpful to me I'm going to ask for ideas that fit into these guidelines:
- Easy. Think "making a sandwich"--that's about how much time it should take. The exception would be if you have a suggestion that can be made in large quantities ahead of time and frozen. But even then I just don't do complicated/time-consuming. (I'm guessing I'm not the only one....)
- Homemade with simple, natural ingredients or simple pre-prepared foods. By "homemade" I mean only that it's not a pre-made meal or a box mix-type of thing. Unfortunately I just can't do things like heat up a can of soup because of Benjamin's allergy restrictions. Feel free, however, to suggest a fabulous, easy, homemade soup because even if your recipe has things in it that we can't eat I can probably modify it. :) An example of simple pre-prepared foods might be yogurt.
- Healthy. You know, balanced, not excessively fat-laden.... Nothing ultra-fancy just...sensible. The whole foods/organic/you-shouldn't-eat-x,y,z-main-food-groups school of thought is completely lost on me...just so you know. :)









4 comments:
Oh, Kiersten! I'm glad you posted this...my poor kids see the same sandwiches with a few different spreads, with a fresh fruit option, most everyday....and I feel so guilty! I have done "turkey (or ham) roll-ups" where I just roll up a piece of lunch meat (or 2) and serve. I bet you could spread hummus or other spread on it and roll that. If my kids weren't so picky, I'd roll it around a carrot! :) Here's hoping you get some great ideas....that I can steal! :). ~Jess
I feel your pain. Food allergies make lunchboxes difficult. It's easier if you break it down into a starch, a protein and a fruit/veggie instead of thinking sandwich, snack, treat. Chips and black bean dip or hummus (pita chips in your case). Crackers, a hard boiled egg, cheese. Almond butter and apple slices. GF bread is so expensive the kids only get sandwiches once a week so it is extra special. Good luck!
If you comment here and are interested in more ideas (Jess :)) check my facebook wall too. I posted this link and have lots of comments there with other ideas.
I have a fantastic EASY chicken noodle soup recipe that a friend gave me. Best soup ever! Here ya go:
Chicken Noodle Soup:
4 C. Cooked, cubed Chix (I often use rotisserie)
1C. Celery, chopped
1/4C. Onions, chopped
1/4 C. Carrots, chopped
1/4C. Butter (adjust to ur liking to Saute)
3/4-1C. Dittalini small tube pasta
12Cups Water
9 cubes Chicken bouillon (Wylers Chicken Cubes)
1/2tsp Dried Majoram
1/2tsp pepper
1bay leaf
1Tbl dried parsley
In large stockport, Saute celery and onion in butter till soft.
Add all other items to pot but pasta, and simmer 30 mins.
Add noodles, and cook per directions on pasta box (boil ~ 10 mins)
Makes enough for leftovers. Enjoy!!
Post a Comment