Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Creative Expression

“Bolt Buddies”
by Benjamin Rodriquez

One day in spring a boy and a robot sat on the porch. The robot was happy because he liked the boy. They were best guys. The robot gave the boy a new toy. It was a computer. The boy had never seen a computer before. The robot gave the boy the computer because he loved him so much.

They looked at the clock and it said it was time to go to the store. The robot and the boy went into the boy’s car and went to a store to buy some things. The robot drived the car.

Then they went back to the boy’s home. Then they watched the goldfish on the kitchen table for awhile. Then it was time to eat lunch.

After lunch they saw a lamp. It moved a little bit. Then it moved a little harder. Then it got late and it was time to eat dinner. Then the robot and the boy were asleep.

In the morning they looked out the window to see if everything was fine. The sun was not so bright and it was moving. It was a moving sun. They went outside in the back of the boy’s house. There was toys there. There were two slides and two swings and two outside balls. And there was two muds in the backyard. They pushed the mud with sticks.

I guess they were just best friends!

__________________________________

Benjamin wrote this story based on a single picture. In the picture a boy and a robot sit side by side on a porch, the boy with his arm around the robot. In the boy's hand is a card that says "Robot (heart) U." The "lamp" Benjamin mentioned is the porch light in the corner of the picture, but otherwise he made up all the details himself. He could write a whole series of stories about the boy & the robot, based on the volume of ideas he had for their adventures. I had a hard time getting him to wrap it up!

Obviously we are in the very beginning stages of writing and there are many things he doesn't understand about story form. For example, I tried to get him to follow up with the "moving lamp" idea, but when I asked him why it was moving he just shrugged and said, "I dunno!" :) I also left his little grammatical errors alone, knowing that he will pick up (and has already picked up--notice the shift from "was toys" to "were slides..." in the second to last paragraph) good grammar from our modeling and the example of the literature we are reading to him. Still, I am proud of his great imagination and even his slightly humorous story tone.

Great job, Benj!!

Rodriquez Review 

4 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

So cute! have you heard of http://www.tikatok.com/ ? It's a fun way to reward the writing process.

DellaRose said...

love it...sounds like a new pixar story...i thought that was why the lamp was moving.. you know the one that jumps?

Vicki said...

I read this to my three kids without telling them who wrote it. But Siena guessed it was Benj. They all thought it was very cute!

Mima said...

Yes, great job Benj! I loved reading your story, and I look forward to the next one! Keep up the good work.
Hugs, Mima